Blackletter – Textura

This week I’ve been working on my first font based on historical sources.

It’s a textura style blackletter typeface which I’ve traced from mid 19th century sheet music covers and altered for a more modular and cleaner design.

It’s been really time-consuming both tracing and reworking the majuscules, and to be honest it’s even more difficult than working on my own personal ideas to some extent.

Fonts for the new year

The past few days I’ve been thinking about what to do to reach 500 000 downloads sometime during the early new year. As I’ve mentioned I’ve been working on creating musical drafts and releasing them on Soundcloud and Opengameart.

Today I started browsing through my old “fonts in progress” directory to find a few I haven’t released yet. Here’s a sneak peek at what might just find its way to DaFont during the next few weeks.

Even more modular

Yet another font is in the works, right now it feels a bit like I’m working in a “pipeline” fashion making multiple fonts concurrently. My script font is basically finished (with some spacing and kerning issues to be addressed if it isn’t accepted on DaFont) and a link will be posted when it’s available on all the sites.

Kerning

I’ve been working on a script font for some time now, I finally got around to making the majuscules, numbers and punctuation, but I have to redo the kerning table.

THIS is why I prefer designing monospace fonts.

At least I’m gaining some experience in kerning and spacing.

Serifs

I’ve been working on a new font the past few days, it’s going to be yet another geometric font, this time it’ll have tall letters, serifs and a fairly rigid composition.

The majuscules, minuscules and numbers are pretty much done, but I’m having a bit of trouble getting started with the non-alphanumeric characters. As always, the ampersand and the at sign remain to be the most difficult of the special characters, I’m considering borrowing some from my earlier high stress font “High Society”.