This time, I thought I’d try and make a handwritten font.
What I did was:
- Write the letters on a piece of grid paper.
- Trace the letters onto plain white paper using a marker and a light table.
- Scan the clean drawn letters to a jpeg file.
- Auto-traced the jpeg into a pdf using the “Super Vectorizer” program.
- Isolated the letters to individual curves using the boolean intersection operation.
- Exported the letters to individual SVGs and imported them into FontForge as usual.
I did some small cleanup on the letters of course, but I haven’t bothered changing the sizes of the minuscules yet. I find too much “nitpicking” can be detrimental to productivity, so I try not to spend too much time on details at the moment.